In the late 1880's and early 1900's several associations were organized to make loans on homes and business property and to accept people's savings. Some of the names of these associations were Home Building and Loan Association, Johnson County Building and Loan Association and Buffalo Building and Loan Association. None of these associations were insured by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, and many were short lived.
On May 18, 1936, the Buffalo Federal Savings and Loan Association received its charter and began providing insurance on its savings accounts. The purpose of the Savings and Loan was to make available long term loans to home buyers, builders, and businessess.
The office on Fort Street was completed in 1969. The outdoor sculptures of a buffalo and mountain man have become a major attraction in the community.
The Savings and Loan became a publicly traded Savings Bank on March 29, 1996. The newly created holding company was named Crazy Woman Creek Bancorp, and the bank was renamed to Buffalo Federal Savings Bank. In this new configuration, the bank has changed its emphasis from residential real estate lending to a broader, commercial bank format. The services include traditional residential real estate loans, as well as consumer, commercial and agricultural loans.
The bank added a second location in 2000 when it purchased a branch in Gillette, Wyoming, operated as The Bank of Gillette. A third branch was added in 2002 in Sheridan, Wyoming, and is operated as The Bank of Sheridan. In 2004 a fourth branch was opened in Evansville, Wyoming, and was initially operated as First Bank. In 2006, we changed the names of the Buffalo and Evansville branches to “The Bank of Buffalo” and “The Bank of Casper”, to tie all of our offices together with a common naming theme. All offices are operated as a branch of Buffalo Federal Savings Bank.
In 2008, we formed a new mortgage division which is headquartered in Cheyenne, Wyoming.